The holidays are right around the corner which means it’s time to think about photos for your holiday cards and gifts. Avoid the stress of waiting until the last minute to take photos. The results will be far better with a little planning. We’ve sourced some top tips from Bella Baby Photographers on how to take the best holiday photos, whether you hire a professional or use your iPhone.
How to Take the Best Holiday Photos:
1. Do not wear matching clothes – wear color-coordinated clothes. Don’t be afraid of color! Stay away from the all white or black shirts and jeans look. – Christina Kennedy
2. Solids in coordinated colors are awesome! 1-2 clothing items in a pattern is fine, but everyone wearing different stripes and plaid is less great. – Susan Howard
3. Have fun. Parents tend to stress to get the “perfect” pose and get kids smiling a certain way. Trust your photographer and let them work their magic. Kids don’t relax and enjoy pictures when mom and dad keep telling them to smile. – Carrie Ostreko
4. If you’re doing outdoor photos, don’t over layer. I’ve heard people complain later that they looked too puffy or heavy in photos but it’s often just the clothes they picked. Well fitting clothes are always better than bigger and too many layers. Instead… bring a blanket for in between shots if you’re cold and then snap some cute cuddle pics wrapped up in that too. – Carrie Ostreko
5. Maybe bring a little gift (depending on the kids’ ages) and let them hold them and take photos with those and then maybe getting some opening them. It’s a surprise for a great shoot and makes for fun images! – Carrie Ostreko
6. Warm up first! Don’t go for “the shot” right away when everyone may still be stiff. Get everyone relaxed, laugh, and to let their guards down… then their true joy will come through! – Beth Malonoski
7. Instead of looking at the camera, look at each other, interact with each other, make each other smile and laugh, hug each other and get in tight! This will result in a more relaxed, real, and natural photograph of your family. – Kim Hoessler Price
We recommend hiring one of our baby photographers as there truly is no replacement for a professional. Our photographers capture the beauty of your family with a natural, artistic style. Your photos will create memories and gifts that last a lifetime.
Have any additional tips to add? Leave us a comment below.